Friday, August 30, 2013

My Connection to former Ohio Governor Gilligan.

The former Governor of Ohio, John Gilligan, passed away Thursday. While he was Governor of Ohio, he lived at an address on Parkway boulevard, less than 2 miles from where I Lived just across the railroad track, in East Columbus, Ohio.  I attended St Charles Borromeo Preparatory School in the late 1970's, where I had a teacher who had a great influence on my life. Dr. Michael J. Gilligan, the governors' son. I had him for English my Sophomore year, and British Literature my Junior year. One of the reasons I started writing a Journal when I was 15 years old was because of the urging of Dr. Gilligan. I wrote a paper about a how the song "Hummingbird" by the Duo Seals and Crofts had influenced me, and he gave me an A. He encouraged my literary interests, and I continued to write everyday, including my time in College at Ohio State University, and especially my several years overseas in Military service.
    I  even got to meet Dr. Gilligan's younger sister Kathy once when she stopped by our campus. That would be Kathy Sebelius, former governor of Kansas and presently a cabinet Secretary for Presient Obama. That is my 6 degrees of separation story. I doubt any of them would ever remember me, but I remember them. May he rest in peace. He made difficult decisions in a difficult time and took responsibility for them. It is a shame so many of today's political elected can't follow his example.

6 comments:

  1. "I doubt any of them would ever remember me"

    Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blog mentor, for sharing what the voices in your head had to say.

      Delete
  2. "Swing and a miss," Chris, I'm a Republican.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you are Republican. I have voted for a few now and then. You are also an Anon. No guts to use a real name, I will categorize you as I see fit. Act like a Blog Mentor, get profiled as one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In keeping w/ your typical "accuracy," LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, maybe ask Krista for help w/ a snappy comeback here, if she hasn't divorced you already (word on the street) oh well.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments from real people, not robots. (Though I admit that with some extremists who have been programmed, you can't tell)